Thursday 19 May 2016

Nigeria Should Copy Seychelles Tourism

Moet Abebe, who visited Seychelles recently, relives her experience on the island

Why did you choose to visit Seychelles?

Before I travelled to Seychelles last Christmas, I read about the place and I was able to establish that it is a beautiful place to visit. Naturally, I prefer to holiday at beach locations since I like to swim with dolphins, take part in water sports and other activities. Since all of these activities are available at Seychelles and I was keen on visiting somewhere I had never been to in Africa, Seychelles became my first choice.

There are other countries in Africa with lovely beaches…

I was torn between visiting Seychelles and Mauritius. I decided to go to Seychelles because I had always wanted to have a first-hand experience of their culture.

Did you go on the trip alone?

No, I did not. I travelled with my boyfriend.

As a first-time visitor to Seychelles, what did you find impressive about the place?

I was impressed by the fact that the country generates most of its revenue from tourism. Most of the products you find in Seychelles, are imported from other countries. It is a good tourist or honeymoon destination and it is often referred to as the Paris of Africa.

Also, most of the locals are friendly. It was always nice going somewhere and every single person you meet is welcoming. The good thing about them is that they are all sincere and no one would try to take advantage of your status as a visitor and attempt to defraud you. They try to make Seychelles good for visitors and even the locals have imbibed the habit of promoting the country’s tourism potential.

How would you describe the nationals?

There are a lot of mixed-race people in Seychelles. They are very simple, easy-going and no one ever tries to outshine the other or create a larger-than-life impression. I fell in love with their simplicity; I feel it is because every day, they wake up to beautiful things. They do not really have to struggle too much for anything they want.

Did being a Nigerian affect the way you were treated by people you met on the trip?

Yes it did. We also hung out with a German couple we met on the trip.

Did they seem to know much about Nigeria?

It was also surprising to note that our movies and music have gone so far and they were familiar with it. They know Davido and Wizkid and kept asking questions about them. They also talked about the major cities in Nigeria but Nigerian music piqued their interest more than any other thing.

Were you shocked at some aspects of their culture?

Not really, most of the people there are tourists. There are a few locals and their population is small. They are mostly simple and local people who live on the island.

What are they renowned for?

They are renowned for their white-sand beaches.

What are some of the places you visited in Seychelles?

We went to their local market; they sell mostly jewellery and other art products there. They do not really have much economic activities going on and do not have many historical sites, especially at Mahe where I visited. It is an island.

What was the most interesting activity you partook in?

I did not really partake in any special activity, but I learnt how to ski and that was really fun for me. Also, I swam with live dolphins in the ocean. It is not everytime one gets to swim with dolphins in an enclosed pool. I had a live experience.

Were you not scared of being harmed?

Not really, there were too many people there already also so I did not think anything bad would happen to me. If it would have happened, I did not think it would happen to me and it never crossed my mind. It was one of those spontaneous decisions I took without thinking about it. And because it went well, I was happy I made the decision.

What would make you return to Seychelles?

I think it would be just because of the hospitality. I do not think I would have any other different feeling swimming with dolphins. I liked the holiday because I met different people from different parts of the world and not just the nationals of Seychelles.

Did you enjoy the food as well?

I did not. The food was not great.

Can you describe it?

It was mostly rice.

What do you like about their culture?

I like the simplicity.

Do they have anything in common with Nigeria?

No, there are no similarities.

How about the tourism industry?

I believe their spirit of tourism could be emulated. We do not really have a lot of tourism going on in Nigeria. A lot still needs to be done.

What interesting feature in Seychelles would you like to be replicated in Nigeria?

It would probably be their jewellery.

As an on-air personality, how did the trip impact on your career?

In most of the places I go to for work or pleasure, I found out that a lot of people were interested in Nigerian music and movies. It makes me want to travel more to spread the word about Nigeria. As an on-air personality, I like to promote these aspects about Nigeria and also sell my brand. Travelling also makes me more enlightened and a versatile media personality.

No comments: