Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Qantas Bans Passengers Charging Samsung Galaxy Note7 Inflight

Qantas is banning passengers with the new Samsung Galaxy Note7 on-board all flights because of fears devices with faulty batteries could catch fire.

Samsung has issued a global recall of the device after incidents of the devices catching fire when plugged in to charge.

In recent days, there have been two incidents of the device exploding, including one case in Perth where a man's phone was scorched as he slept in his hotel room.

Qantas passenger Dean Cabena said flight crew urged passengers on a Perth to Sydney flight this week against recharging the device in the air.

A Qantas Group spokesman said the ban had been issued following Samsung's global recall.

"Following the world wide recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 Personal Electronic Device (PED), we are requesting that passengers do not charge them inflight," the spokesman said.

Samsung issued the recall on 2 September when it said as of 1 September, there had been 35 incidents involving the device and faulty batteries.

It subsequently stopped all sales of the Galaxy Note7 and is offering customers replacements.

Samsung Australia said its recall was "voluntary and proactive." It said there had been two instances of the phone overheating in Australia.

An estimated 50,000 phones will be recalled in Australia.

It comes at a devastating time for Samsung, as rival Apple launches its new iPhone.