Wednesday, 22 March 2017

KENYA: Contaminated Meat Kills A Man In Trans Nzoia

One person died while more than 100 were hospitalised on Wednesday after taking contaminated meat at Bikeke village in Trans Nzoia.

Area chief Esther Waswa said villager Eliud Wafula slaughtered a sick cow and supplied the meat at a much cheaper price. He died in the morning.

“The cow was injected by a veterinary officer on Monday and was slaughtered on Tuesday. He sold pieces to villagers at Sh20," said Waswa.

She said he did so through local suppliers.

The chief reported that some of those who ate the meat had stomachaches, vomited and became weak shortly after.

Villager Chrystal Akunda said residents "ran" for the meat after learning of how cheap it was.

“They bought it in order to prepare nutritious meals but they ended up in problems,“ she said.

The neighbouring St Teresa Bikeke Girls Secondary School offered its school bus for the transportation of the sick to various hospitals.

Some were taken to Bikeke health centre and those in critical condition to Mt Elgon Hospital in Kitale. This was after the realisation that nurses at Kitale district hospital were still on strike.

Veterinary officers started investigations to establish the disease from which the cow died.

The chief warned residents against purchasing meat which is not certified by relevant officers.

The body was taken to kitale district hospital mortuary.

Post a Comment