Sunday, 24 December 2017
PREPARE: Lamb Kebabs
- 1 basket juicy red grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1x2 inch pieces
- 2 mushroom caps cut into 10 or 12 wedges
- 18 to 24 pieces lean lamb, from a boneless leg, cut into 1 inch square pieces
- 1 large sweet onion cut into 10 or 12 wedges
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- Pinch of salt
- Grindings of good black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup good olive oil
- olive oil
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a deep glass bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Add the lamb chunks, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight if possible.
- Turn the lamb to make sure it gets fully coated with the marinade.
- Prepare all the vegetables and have 6 skewers ready.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade.
- Discard the marinade.
- Beginning and ending with a piece of onion, thread the lamb and vegetables onto the skewers, making them fit snugly against each other.
- Place the kebabs in a roasting pan and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Sprinkle them with salt and black pepper if desired.
- Grill the kebabs over medium-high heat until the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees.
- Remove the skewers from the heat and allow the kebabs to rest in a warm place for 5 to 10 minutes.
The lamb will continue to cook and rise in temperature to at least 145 degrees which is medium-rare. Grill lamb longer if you prefer it to be more done.