Sunday, 30 July 2017
PREPARE: Green Vegetable Soup, Fit For The Diabetic
Size: 1 cup
Grams Per Serving: 14
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups 1/3-less sodium vegetable broth
- 1 12 - ounce package frozen shelled sweet soybeans (edamame)
- 1 9 - 10 - ounce package frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 9 - ounce package fresh spinach
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced into rings
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, broth, soybeans, peas, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Gradually add spinach to the soup until all is added.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until it has a slightly chunky pureed consistency.
- To serve, ladle soup into shallow bowls.
- If desired, sprinkle with cracked pepper.
- Top each serving with some of the red pepper rings.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 121 cal., 4 g total fat 290 mg sodium, 14 g carb. (5 g fiber, 6 g sugars), 8 g pro.
Starch (d.e): 0.5; Fat (d.e): 0.5; Lean Meat (d.e): 0.5; Vegetables (d.e): 1;