Sunday, 30 July 2017
PREPARE: Italian Fried Steak With Roasted Pepper Pesto
Sharp Romano cheese and peppery fresh basil add brightness and life, recreating the classic Italian flavors everybody loves.
Serve alongside a fresh salad or overtop crisp, steamed green beans, dressed in olive oil and garlic.
- 1/2 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 pounds beef cubed steak
- Ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 12 ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained
- 2/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- In a shallow dish combine bread crumbs and half of the cheese.
- In another shallow dish beat together egg and the water.
- Cut meat into eight equal-size portions; lightly sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Dip meat pieces into egg mixture, then crumb mixture; press lightly to coat.
- In a 12-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Working in two batches, cook steak about 5 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove to a serving platter; cover to keep warm.
- Carefully wipe skillet clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a blender or processor combine sweet peppers and the remaining cheese.
- Process until nearly smooth. Finely chop 1/2 cup of the basil; set aside.
- Transfer pepper mixture to hot skillet and heat through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in finely chopped basil.
- Pour sauce over steaks.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Nutrition values in Italian Fried Steak with Roasted Pepper Pesto
Per serving: 425 kcal cal., 21 g fat (8 g sat. fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 9 g monounsatured fat), 130 mg chol., 645 mg sodium, 15 g carb., 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 43 g pro. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet