Sunday, 20 August 2017
PREPARE: Delicious Beef Stew, Serve With Rice,Cassava(manioc) Ugali (pap) or Matooke (steamed bananas)
Preparation: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14 - ounce can beef broth
- 1/4 cup canned tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Bread soup bowls (optional)
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook meat, half at a time, in hot oil until brown.
- Return all meat to Dutch oven. Add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle flour over meat mixture.
- Cook and stir until flour is lightly brown.
- Stir in broth, tomato puree, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In a large saucepan, cook carrot, celery, sweet pepper, and the 1 cup pearl onions, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Stir drained vegetables, frozen peas, hot pepper sauce, thyme and black pepper into meat mixture; heat through.
- Season to taste.
- If you like, serve stew in a bread bowl (hollow out before filling), or serve in shallow bowls.
- Makes 6 (1-cup) main-dish servings.
Servings Per Recipe 6, Potassium (mg) 680, sugar (g) 6, fiber (g) 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2, Thiamin (mg) 0, vit. C (mg) 38, vit. A (IU) 61, iron (mg) 4, cal. (kcal) 310, calcium (mg) 40, carb. (g) 14, pro. (g) 24, Monounsaturated fat (g) 8, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, sat. fat (g) 5, chol. (mg) 75, Fat, total (g) 17, Folate (µg) 44, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1, Niacin (mg) 5, Riboflavin (mg) 0, sodium (mg) 436, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 6