Saturday, 2 June 2018
PREPARE: Roast Pork With Vegetables
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 45 mins
- Yield: 6 to 8
- Cuisine: Others
- Cooking Method: Roast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 2-3 kilos crown roast pork, (ask your butcher to cut and tie the meat for you), at room temperature
- 1 cup yellow sweet potatoes, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, purple, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup squash, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup eggplant, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh white mushrooms, halved
Preheat oven to 430ºF.
Pound together 2 tablespoons olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper with a mortar and pestle.
Rub mixture all over pork, including the cavity. Wrap exposed bones with foil to prevent them from burning.
Place vegetables in a large roasting pan. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place pork on top of vegetables.
Roast pork for 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 375ºF and roast for 1½ to 2 hours or until pork is cooked through and internal temperature registers 150 to 160ºF on a meat thermometer.
Add mushrooms during the last 10 minutes of roasting.
Once pork is cooked through, increase heat to 500ºF and continue roasting for 1 to 2 minutes for a crisp finish.
Watch pork carefully.
Serve with drippings as sauce.
Eat with Matoke (plantains), Cassava, Ugali, Chapatti.